Position Title: Student – Tender Fruit and Grape Field Technician
Job Term: Temporary (3 positions) for up to 18 weeks
Location: OMAFRA Vineland Resource Centre, Vineland, Ontario (Niagara Region, on the south shore of Lake Ontario, 1 hour south of Toronto)
Salary: $14.85/ hour, based on a 36.25 hour work week
Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in the Ontario Public Service? These positions at the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ Vineland Resource Centre will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in horticulture production and pest management. These positions will provide the opportunity to learn about diseases, insects and tender fruit and grape production.
- Assist with summer research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Horticulture Technology Staff.
- Activities will include the set-up and maintenance (pruning or training vines, planting, application of spray treatments etc.) of research plots focused on production practices, soil health, pest management, invasive insects, fertility etc. Collection/entering of data and preparation of written reports. Training will be provided on research methods, technology transfer, and working in the public sector.
- Collecting, archiving and organizing digital photos of key growth stages and major pests of horticultural crops such as grapes and tree fruit.
- Field work may include farm tours, field scouting, identification and monitoring of insects, weeds and crop diseases, collecting soil samples, and downloading data.
- Assist staff with the collection and analysis of on-farm samples and data for research projects.
- Assist staff to conduct literature reviews and develop written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives and industry issues.
- Assist in the coordination of events and programs (e.g. workshops, demonstrations, field days etc.) working with key stakeholders and clients in delivery of programs and information.
- Office work may include assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, scanning images, etc.
Please review the qualifications for this position. We are looking for you to:
- Apply your interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Utilize your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry.
- Employ your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- Be familiar with computer-based software applications including Microsoft Office and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information.
- Work in an outdoor environment subject to temperature and/or weather fluctuations with physical activity involved including some light to moderate lifting.
- Use a microscope to identify insects and disease specimens.
- Work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
- Be familiar with horticulture plant and crop production and/or pest management.
- Be willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
- You must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must be a resident of Ontario on the first day of employment.
- You must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- You must be between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment. Other potential positions may be available (subject to funding approval) that are not age limited.
- You must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
How to Apply:
- Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file to email@example.com in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf). Or you could provide your cover letter and resume on paper to:
Vineland Resource Centre
4890 Victoria Avenue N, Box 8000
Vineland Station, Ontario L0R 2E0
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posting Date: January 8, 2018
Closing Date: January 31, 2018
0 comments on “Tender Fruit and Grape Student positions available at Vineland Resource Centre for summer 2018”