Job Ad: Student – Horticulture Assistant
Organization: Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs
Division/Branch: Economic Development Division / Agriculture Development Branch
Title: Student – Horticulture Research Assistant
Job Term: Temporary, up to 14 weeks beginning August 4, 2020 with possibility of part-time after Labour Day until December 31, 2020
Number of Positions: Up to 2 position
Location: OMAFRA Simcoe Resource Centre, Simcoe, Ontario (Norfolk County, on the north shore of Lake Erie, 2 hours southwest of Toronto) – depending on responsibilities, there is flexibility in work location with work-from-home option
Salary: $14.85 / hour based on a 36.25 hour work week
Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in the Ontario Public Service? These positions at the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ Simcoe Resource Centre will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in horticulture production, research or the agricultural service sector. These positions will provide the opportunity to learn about diseases, insects, and agronomy of the major field horticulture crops and specialty crops grown in the province.
- Assist with research and demonstration projects conducted by Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) Horticulture and Specialty Crops Staff.
- Activities will include maintenance (weeding, harvesting, etc.) of research plots focused on production practices, soil health, weed control, pest management, and fertility etc., collection/entering of data and preparation of written reports. Training will be provided on research methods, technology transfer, and working in the public sector
- Collecting, archiving and organizing digital photos of key growth stages and major pests of horticultural and specialty crops such as tree fruit, nuts, hops, ginseng, sweet potatoes and industrial crops
- Assist staff with the collection and analysis of on-farm samples and data for research projects.
- Assist staff with the compilation of pest control product label information for use in publication development.
- Assist staff to conduct literature reviews and develop written reports and presentation materials on key initiatives and industry issues.
- Assist staff in the development of knowledge and technology transfer products including newsletters, blogs, videos and podcasts.
Please review the qualifications for this position. What we are looking for:
- You apply your interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- You apply your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry.
- You apply your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- You are familiar with computer based software applications including MS Word, MS Excel and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analysis, prepare reports, track and compile information.
- You can work in an outdoor environment with physical activity involved.
- You work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
- You are familiar with farming and crop production.
- You are willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
- You must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence.
How to Apply:
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must be a resident of Ontario on the first day of employment.
- You must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- You must be between 15-24 years of age (up to 29 with disability) on the first day of employment.
- You must be currently enrolled in a secondary or post-secondary school, or have completed all academic requirements for graduation within 6 months of first day of employment.
- You must provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file to Jacquie.firstname.lastname@example.org in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf).
Simcoe Resource Centre
1283 Blueline Road,
Box 587 Simcoe, Ontario N3Y 4N5
You should receive confirmation within 2 business days if your application was received. If you do not receive a confirmation in that time, please call Jacquie DeFields.
If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact Jacquie.email@example.com.
Closing Date: July 27, 2020