Are you serious about making your mark, getting hands-on work experience and learning more about careers in the Ontario Public Service? This position at the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs’ Vineland Resource Centre will provide an excellent opportunity for those interested in a career in horticulture production and pest management. You will have the opportunity to learn about diseases, insects and tender fruit and grape production.
This is a temporary appointment August 30 through November 26. Salary is $15.10/ hour, based on a 36.25 hour-work week.
You will assist with the collection and analysis of on-farm samples and data for research projects. Field work may include field scouting, identification and monitoring of insects, weeds and crop diseases, harvesting plots and operating weather stations and other equipment. Office work may include assisting with the production of technical information such as newsletters, updating web pages, blogs, scanning images, etc.
Please review the qualifications for this position. We are looking for you to:
- Apply your interpersonal skills to work within a multi-disciplinary team.
- Utilize your observational skills and attention to detail to conduct research, field monitoring and data entry.
- Employ your written communication skills to prepare a variety of documents (e.g. reports, factsheets, and articles).
- Be familiar with computer-based software applications including Microsoft Office and database management software to perform data entry, conduct analyses, prepare reports, track and compile information.
- Work in an outdoor environment subject to temperature and/or weather fluctuations with physical activity involved including some light to moderate lifting.
- Use microscopes to identify insects and disease specimens.
- Work independently or as part of a team; you plan, organize and prioritize your work to meet competing deadlines.
- Be familiar with horticulture plant and crop production and/or pest management.
- Be willing to travel to rural locations (frequently not accessible by public transportation).
- You must have a minimum Ontario G2 Driver’s Licence
- You must demonstrate how you meet the eligibility criteria, skills and experience we are looking for clearly, completely and concisely. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- You must be a resident of Ontario on the first day of employment.
- You must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
How to apply:
- Provide your cover letter and resume electronically in one file to firstname.lastname@example.org in any of the following formats: PDF, WORD, plain or rich-text format (.pdf, .doc, .docx, .txt and .rtf).
- If you have a disability and require accommodation to apply please contact email@example.com
Closing date for applications:
August 24, 2021